Freemasons Hall Residence and Studio
Architect: Christian Bible Chapel 1969, Castlemaine Girls College 1885, Masonic Hall 1925, mixed use conversion Logan Studio 2019
Castlemaine | 25
The Old Freemasons Hall, contains a decorative vaulted plaster ceiling and one of Castlemaine’s most spectacular 1920s interiors. This intriguing heritage building began its life as a Methodist church in 1869, was converted into a school in 1885 and was refurbished as a Masonic Hall in 1925. The exterior reflects the architectural modifications associated with its different occupations, while inside a recent conversion exemplifies the adaptive reuse of a heritage building.
The masterplan for the conversion included a number of energy-saving measures and the reconfiguration of the interior into two residences, an architecture studio and a multi-purpose room suitable for small community gatherings. The design strategy was to keep the large volume and decorative heritage features of the original church building while dividing the smaller hall into north-facing living spaces.
The design takes advantage of the original triple brick walls and high pitched roofs and provides light, functional, energy-efficient, weather resilient space. Energy-saving measures include solar panels, insulation to the roof, ceiling & floors, double glazing, the removal of air-conditioners, the use of recycled materials and bike racks. The overall aesthetic is minimal and contemporary.
Lead by architect Katrina Logan, visitors are invited on a tour of the external site to view how three institutions shaped the building.